I obtained my B.A. in Psychology and Criminal Justice at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville (1999). After a two year hiatus in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Northern California, I completed my M.A. in Experimental Psychology at Humboldt State University (2004). Next, I worked with Jeff Joireman at Washington State University, where I obtained my PhD in Experimental Psychology (2007). My first academic position was an Assistant Professor in the School of Social Sciences at Singapore Management University. After three wonderful years in Singapore, I transitioned to the VU University, Amsterdam. I continue to work and live in the beautiful, vibrant city of Amsterdam.
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND PROJECTS
I founded the Amsterdam Cooperation Lab in 2015. At this site you can find out more about the many research projects I am involved with by checking out the profiles of the members of the lab. Most recently, I have been involved with several projects that address the following questions:
- How do people think about their interdependence with others?
- What types of interdependence do people frequently experience on a daily basis?
- How do people cooperate to obtain indirect benefits in a social network?
- Why do people cooperate more with in-group, compared to out-group, members?
- How does group size affect cooperation?
- Balliet, D., Tybur, J. M., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (in press). Functional interdependence theory: An evolutionary account of social situations. Personality and Social Psychology Review.
- Balliet, D., Wu, J., & De Dreu, C. K. W. (2014).In-group favoritism in cooperation: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 140, 1556-1581.
- Balliet, D., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2013). Trust, conflict, and cooperation: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 139,1090-1112.
- Balliet, D., Li, N. P., Macfarlan, S. J., & Van Vugt, M. (2011).Sex differences in cooperation: A meta-analytic review of social dilemmas. Psychological Bulletin, 137, 881-909.
- Balliet, D., Li, N. P., & Joireman, J. (2011).Relating trait self-control and forgiveness among prosocials and proselfs: A test of compensatory and synergistic models. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 101, 1090-1109.
- Balliet, D., Mulder, L. B., & Van Lange, P.A.M. (2011).Reward, punishment, and cooperation: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 137, 594-615.