I obtained my B.A. in Psychology and Criminal Justice at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville (1999). After a two year hiatus in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Northern California, I completed my M.A. in Experimental Psychology at Humboldt State University (2004). Next, I worked with Jeff Joireman at Washington State University, where I obtained my PhD in Experimental Psychology (2007). My first academic position was an Assistant Professor in the School of Social Sciences at Singapore Management University. After three wonderful years in Singapore, I transitioned to the VU Amsterdam. In 2019, I was promoted to Full Professor of Human Cooperation at the VU Amsterdam. I continue to work and live in the beautiful, vibrant city of Amsterdam.
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND PROJECTS
I founded the Amsterdam Cooperation Lab in 2015. The ACL website will provide you information about many research projects we are currently working on. Most recently, I have been involved with several projects that address the following questions:
- How do people think about their interdependence with others?
- What types of interdependence do people frequently experience on a daily basis?
- How do people cooperate to obtain indirect benefits in a social network?
- Why do people cooperate more with in-group, compared to out-group, members?
- Why and how does cooperation vary across societies?
- †Yuan, M., †Spadaro, G., Jin, S., Wu, J., Kou, Y., Van Lange, P. A. M., & Balliet, D. (in press). Changes in Americans’ Levels of Cooperation Over Time: A Cross-Temporal Meta-Analysis. Psychological Bulletin. †Shared first authorship
- Spadaro, G., Graf, C., Jin, S., Arai, S., Inoue, Y., Lieberman, E., Rinderu, I., Yuan, M., Van Lissa, C., & Balliet, D. (in press). Cross-societal variation in cooperation: A meta-analysis. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Spadaro, G., Tiddi, I., Columbus, S., Jin, S., Teije, A. t., & Balliet, D. (in press). The Cooperation Databank: Machine-Readable Science Accelerates Research Synthesis. Perspectives on Psychological Science. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/rveh3
- Dores Cruz, T. D., Thielmann, I., Columbus, S., Molho, C., Wu, J., Righetti, F., de Vries, R., Koutsoumpis, A., Van Lange, P. A. M., Beersma, B., & Balliet, D. (2021). Gossip and Reputation in Everyday Life. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/y79qk
- Romano, A., Sutter, M., Liu, J. H., Yamagishi, T., & Balliet, D. (2021). National parochialism is ubiquitous across 42 nations around the world. Nature Communications, 12(1), 1-8.
- Thielmann, I., Spadaro, G., & Balliet, D. (2020). Personality and prosocial behavior: A theoretical framework and meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 146, 30-90.
- *Columbus, S., *Molho, C., Righetti, F., & Balliet, D. (2020). Interdependence and cooperation in daily life. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. *shared first author.
- Molho, C., Tybur, J. M., Van Lange, P. A. M., & Balliet, D. (2020). Direct and Indirect Punishment of Norm Violations in Daily Life. Nature Communications.
- Gerpott, F. H., Balliet, D., Columbus, S., Molho, C., & De Vries, R. E. (2018). How Do People Think About Interdependence? A Multidimensional Model of Subjective Outcome Interdependence. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 115, 716-742.
- Balliet, D., Tybur, J. M., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2017). Functional interdependence theory: An evolutionary account of social situations. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 21, 361-388.
- Romano, A., Balliet, D., Yamagishi, T., & Liu, J. H. (2017). Parochial trust and cooperation across 17 societies. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114, 12702-12707.
- Romano, A., & Balliet, D. (2017). Reciprocity outperforms conformity to promote cooperation. Psychological Science, 28, 1490-1502.
- Wu, J., Balliet, D., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2016). Reputation management: Why and how gossip enhances generosity. Evolution and Human Behavior, 37, 193–201.
- Balliet, D., Wu, J., & De Dreu, C. K. W. (2014).In-group favoritism in cooperation: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 140, 1556-1581.
- Balliet, D., & Van Lange, P. A. M. (2013). Trust, conflict, and cooperation: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 139,1090-1112.
- Balliet, D., Li, N. P., Macfarlan, S. J., & Van Vugt, M. (2011).Sex differences in cooperation: A meta-analytic review of social dilemmas. Psychological Bulletin, 137, 881-909.
- Balliet, D., Li, N. P., & Joireman, J. (2011).Relating trait self-control and forgiveness among prosocials and proselfs: A test of compensatory and synergistic models. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 101, 1090-1109.
- Balliet, D., Mulder, L. B., & Van Lange, P.A.M. (2011).Reward, punishment, and cooperation: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 137, 594-615.